Saturday 17 July 2010

No.350 Of Inception & Adversity

I went to see Inception last night with the girls. It was hard. It was long too. I came away much relieved the ordeal was over but also thinking I might have missed a really good film. Guess I just wasn't prepared to put the work in required on a Friday night.

Da Caprio is a great actor but why it has to be him every time I don't know. I'm sure there are many other great actors bursting for the chance of a lead role.

On the subject of Italians (or at least those with Italian sounding names) I'm reading Primo Levi's book at the moment "If This Is a Man". This is his account of the year he spent as a prisoner in the Auschwitz concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Poland. It has been described as one of the most important works of the twentieth century and I can see why. It reminds me a little of books like Birdsong or even Grapes of Wrath - altogether very depressing and uplifting at the same time. Yes it's reflects just how terribly humans can treat one another but also what great survivors we are and how individuals can triumph over adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment