Sunday 24 January 2010

No.226 Of Sunday Morning Board Games

I was listening to an interivew this morning with Ronald Dworkin Harvard Professor of Law and billed as the greatest living legal philospher. Having just Googled him I learn that he's 79 but his mind sounded sharp and his exposition was wonderfully clear.

I remember studying Dworkin at University. He was just about the only philosopher on the jurisprudence course that I ever understood. If I remember correctly he developed a theory based around what he called "The Original Position" which to me sound like a board game and quite a bit of fun. The idea was that you judged a law as good or bad by asking whether a group of legislators would have passed it had they known they were about to arrive on this planet but not know where and as whom. See, I told you it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment