Saturday 19 February 2011

Of True Grit Grounded


I went to see True Grit last night at the flicks with an old friend AB. It could have been a great film but I struggled to understand the main character played by Geoff Bridges. His deep American drawl proved too much for me and as a film which is largely based on 3 characters and good script it proved a fatal mistake.

Before the movie AB and I went for a Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet. We were surrounded by rather large people who were certainly doing all that they could to get maximum value. Although the buffet counter contained some really healthy options including broccoli and runner beans most plates were filled with junk. The mother to my side had a plate with just three items on it but in plentiful amounts : prawn crackers, green (luminous) jelly and chocolate cake.

AB is married to a multi-millionaire but she hasn't lost her understanding of the value of money. Sometimes we'll meet and she'll tell me what a good weekend away she had recent at a lovely hotel and best of all at bargain rates. I really like this about her. She likes her luxuries and treats but doesn't depend on them for who she is. She is, grounded, down to earth and great company despite not having been in the best of health recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment