Tuesday 8 February 2011

Of great teams and indivudal efforts


I was master of the Titanic in the kitchen again last night. The carrots and celery in the quorn veggie stir fry were too hard. The rice too dry. Overall, it was completely tasteless.

I have 36 hours and two more attempts left to sort out a middle course before "Come be poisoned by me" on Thursday night. If I don't make it, I guess I'll have to fill the kitchen with smoke, fake an oven explosion and offer to take guests somewhere less threatening to their health and safety like a good local restaurant.

It's perhaps ironic I guess that my current reading (other than a multitude of cookbooks) is "Winning" by Clive Woodward who coached the England rugby team to World Cup success in 1993. I've just got to the point that the team has returned heads bowed from a tour of the Southern Hemisphere where they got a good drubbing. Remarkably, Woodward doesn't appear rattled. I guess the sign of a great team is how it handles failure until success comes its way. Let's hope the same applies to a chef too...






No comments:

Post a Comment