Thursday 10 February 2011

Of Dreams and Nightmares

Nightmare! That's all I need! It turns out one of my dinner guests tonight is the daughter of the woman who makes the finest Rhubarb and Apple Crumble in Northern Ireland. I might just have to switch desserts now to Bread Pudding and keep it quiet that I am a very close relative of the woman that makes the finest samples of that same said pudding known to man.

I shopped for an hour in Asda last night (for I hadn't seen Gruyere cheese at Tesco and had to chance my luck elsewhere). When I couldn't find the cheese I broke a very male tradition of not asking and went to the woman behind the cheese counter for help. She had never heard of Gruyere and assured me with confidence that I wouldn't find it anywhere in "Anrim". I couldn't find the napkins so I asked her where those were. There was no sign of the tomato puree so she helped me find that too. By the time of my third request I thought she might as well have hopped into one of those toy cars attach it to my trolley and navigate me round for the rest of the evening.

I left with my third full trolley in as many days.

I soldier on knowing that by tomorrow's blog the ordeal will be over and it will all seem just like a dream....


No comments:

Post a Comment