Saturday 26 February 2011

Of Early Day Starts and Humiliations


I squished my jogging gear into my cabin bag before coming to London so I was determined to use it while here. This morning I got out my pit at 7a.m. and made straight for the local park at Russell Square. I wasn't the first there. As I did my stretch exercises I spied a lady already on her first lap. I decided I'd try and catch her at least by the time of my 10th and last lap of the park. It was a plan that was to back fire badly. By lap 3 it was clear I was making no ground on her. By 5 she was getting away and by 7 she was clearly catching me. By the last she'd caught me up and was on my shoulder. I said hello largely in an attempt to hide my secret plan and cover its dastardly failure. She asked me a few things including what I did but I don't think she caught any of my answers - something to do with my heavy panting at a guess. It turned out she was a professor from the local African & Oriental Studies and 63!

No comments:

Post a Comment