Sunday 6 March 2011

Of Jacqueline, Jackie and Jackson

As I type this I'm listening to Puccini's "O Mio Babbino Caro" played by Ophelie Gaillard. I'm not sure I've heard anything quite so soothing and easy on the ears in a long while. I don't think I've heard so much passion in someone's playing since Jacqueline du Pre did her legendary recording of Elgar's Cello Concerto.

I seem to be having something of a musical weekend without really trying. Yesterday evening one of my neighbours, Jackie, called round with two CDs for me of music by a few brass instruments. She plays a French Horn and is keen for me to have her turn up at a Legal-Island event and play either speakers or delegates into the conference suite on her Horn. So far I've listened to about 30 tunes. They're all great but I'm not convinced there's any there that really suit a legal conference. Mozart's Rondo Horn Concerto in E Flat (that's the one where you can't help but see foxes and hounds darting about everywhere) stands out most so far but will it work? I think we may chicken out here and simply pipe some Michael Jackson tune through the loud speakers instead....


No comments:

Post a Comment