Monday 21 March 2011

Of Glad Tidings Over Troubled Times

I watched Fergal Keane's history of Ireland last night. Wow this guy is good. In fact, for me he's written the best piece of journalism ever. There's a reason why everyone talks about "Letter to Daniel" more than 10 years after it was first broadcast.

Last night Fergal Keane explained the genesis of the Troubles in Northern Ireland and he did so with his trademark thoroughness and objectivity. If some politicians or key stakeholders with reliable crystal balls had got together in the early 1900s to plot a more difficult problem to resolve 100 years later they couldn't have done it any better than what we have been left to sort out now.

Occasionally I threaten to chuck out the T.V because I know I'd get so much more done without one in the house (or three come to think of it...). But occasionally, just occasionally, the likes of Dimbleby, Paxman or Keane come along and deliver a programme of such first class quality that I'm glad I never did.

No comments:

Post a Comment