Monday 14 March 2011

Of the Best Laid Plans




It’s been a remarkable weekend and one of Legal-Island’s best in a long time.
On Friday the new henhouse arrived. It’s a funky “Egloo” house- with very nice shapes and bright orange. A friend of mine who saw it said he thought it was great but not very politically neutral bearing in mind it s colour. He joked that I should stuff it full of hens that lay green eggs for political balance. The following day I phoned a number I had been given for a hen seller not far from here in Ballymena. The boy on the end of the phone explained that the hens were a rare breed called Aruncan hens and he had just four left. He added” And they lay green eggs is that okay?”. I told him I’d take the lot of them…

I called round to pick them up. The farmer’s lad chased them round the pen and stuffed all four in a sack - de rigeur for hens apparently. I placed the sack on the front seat of my car. Just when they thought life couldn’t get an worse it did. I had the best of the Bee Gees on the music system all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment