Friday 8 April 2011

Of Beginner's Luck


It's the Grand National horse race today. I have a full £5 bet on.


The first time I ever attended the race at Aintree I was on my way to my Gran's in Chester. I had discovered that a return to Chester from Northampton on the bus was £20 but a return to Aintree just up the road was a mere £14. So you might say that I went to the race because I was on my way to somewhere else.


I got lucky that day. First I found £40 (4 x£10) on the ground in the bookie's enclosure. Nobody seem to be claiming it so I did but of course didn't hand around very long in case someone came looking for it. I pocketed half and stuck the other £20 on Alderniti to win and it promptly obliged. Also, I managed to find my way into the royal enclosure. I'm not quite sure how this happened for the security was very tight. I guess it was because there weren't many wee lads on their own and the gate inspector must have confused the couple immediately in front of me as my parents and in the three of us went.


So somewhere not too far from where Queen Elizebeth the Queen Mother was standing I watched my horse come home and headed for my gran's in Chester about £100 richer than I had ever been before. Gran was amused, proud and disturbed all at once. Easy stuff this gambling I thought.


Oh and by the way Niche Market to win at 20/1...

No comments:

Post a Comment