Monday 3 January 2011

Of 2hours and 127 days

It seems I've done something in the last week that I don't normally do and wonder why others do it and some religiously. That's read a book of a film that everyone is going to see. I can never see the point in taking several hours to read a book when you've just seen the film in two. Granted, the book and the film may not be the same but you know how the story starts and finishes and a good bit of the in between too. So why bother?
In my defence I read "127 days - between a rock and a hard place" before I went to see the film. In fact, I've still to see the film. It's released on Wednesday and a friend of mine and I have already arranged to go and see it. It's about a guy who goes climbing in the Grand Canyon in the USA and gets his arm stuck underneath a bolder. After much struggling he realises the only way out is to cut his arm off. It's a superb read this book and it's full of great learning points. What I enjoyed from it most however was a quote not from the author, Aron Ralston but one lifted directly from Mark Twight. It reads as follows :

"Eventually I sickened of people, myself included, who didn't think enough of themselves to make something of themselves - people who did only what they had to do and never what they could have done. I learned from them the infected loneliness that comes at the end of every misspent day. I knew I could do better".


No comments:

Post a Comment