Tuesday 26 July 2011

Of War on War and Peace

I'm on about page 200 of War and Peace which means I've got 600 pages to go. But as Magnus Mangusson would say "I've started so I'll finish."
It is a great novel but it's hard hard work. Keeping abreast of all the characters requires real concentration which I don't always have at the end of a working day.
I've given myself a rule this year that I don't start one book until I've finished another. Problem is behind this great novel waits another : Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" - a belter of a book at 1168 pages.
What astonishes me is that these authors found the time to write (presumably in hand) a book in their lifetime that it takes others (or at least me) the good part of a year to read.
Maybe I'm just a very slow reader. Perhaps I should break my own rule and get another from Amazon "Dummies guide to Speed Reading"?

No comments:

Post a Comment