Monday 14 February 2011

Of Secret Valentines

It's great being single on Valentine's Day. You don't feel compelled to go out to dinner and pay twice what you normally would do for very average food. Nor do you have to shell out for flowers that are three times what they were last week. Bunch of roses £30! (and that's Lidl!)

I shared a house once with a lady in Clapham. Her name was Mary-Jane. She was single, fast approaching 30 and feeling very left on the shelf. I dreaded each Valentine's Day because she was especially moody when nothing dropped through the letter box. So one year I thought £30 would be cheap to keep her from sulking for a day at least so I ordered flowers to be delivered, signed no doubt, with some corny pseudonym too clever to reveal the sender's identify. When the flowers arrived she was momentarily cheered. By the end of the evening she had a face like a month of wet weekends.

When I asked her what the matter was she said "This really annoys me. There's a guy out there who wants me and I've no idea who he is -f...kin hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment