Tuesday 8 February 2011

Of Rhubarb Ramblings


More disaster. Had a go last night at stewed pairs in red wine. Hard and tasteless. Then tried rhubarb and apple crumble. Edible but apple too hard and crumble too powdery. Also an errant bit of garlic found its way into the dish which didn't help at all. Beginning to panic a little now as I have just 48 hours until "Come be Ill with Me" happens on Thursday. This goal of mine to eat, appreciate and cook better food was designed to help me keep in shape. Instead, I'm just stuffing my face full of all these aborted practice runs. I can't leave even bad food go to waste. Guess it's a "I've been to Africa and seen too many starving people" kind of thing.

In an attempt to burn some of the rhubarb and custard calories I ran to work this morning at 7a.m. through the woods and along the river. It was dark, cold and a bit creepy but at the same time lovely too. The sun was just rising over the Lough as I sped round the corner of the meadows on my way through the park. I arrived to work pumped up and ready for the day. Who needs to be able to do rhubarb crumble anyway? It's hardly a life skill is it??

No comments:

Post a Comment