Sunday 14 November 2010

No.422 Of Remembrance Sunday

Its Remembrance Sunday today. I never go to wreath laying ceremonies and then feel guilty because I feel I should. I also agonise over wearing a Poppy in Northern Ireland for it is seen as making such a political statement yet it's important to remember those who lost their lives fighting to keep Britain safe and free. These may have included descendants of mine. I don't know for sure for there are many in my line who remain unknown and yet to be discovered.

I read Birdsong last year which is probably the best book I've ever read in terms of portraying the horror of war. War films always seem to glamorise the going to war but Birdsong shows nothing but the horror, the tragedy and the shocking waste of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment