Friday 23 December 2011

Of Reviewing the Year's Books


Last night I was reviewing the books I've read this year. Considering I'm a slow reader and one of the books this year was a belter (War and Peace) I'm surprised at how well I've done and how many books I've managed to get through in 2011.
 They include :

"The 4-Hour Work Week" Timothy Ferriss - probably, and yes it sounds cliché, a life changing book - time will tell and next year in particular.
 "The Psychology of Persuasion" - Robert Cialdini - a great read for anyone wanting to know just how we take decisions whether or not to buy a good or service. He argues we work off far more shortcuts than we either realize or would admit too and I think he's right.
 "The One Minute Manager" Ken Blanchard - known as a classic management text told in the form of a story but for me quite dated. He advises you to touch your staff as you give them feedback. Employment laws would land you in trouble for this. Dyaken Ken?
"Man's Search for Meaning - hope from the holocaust" Viktor Frankl. The book that everyone rates and indeed claims is life changing for them. But not me. Maybe I should give it another go next year.
"War & Peace" Tolstoy - not my favourite book of all time but without doubt the must astonishing work I have ever read. Astonishing.
"Do it or Ditch it" - Beverley James - packed full of useful tips on business and personal development - a great opening first book
"The Lost Art of the Great Speech" by Richard Dowis - the best book on public speaking I've ever read by far (and I've read a few by the way)
"Winning! Clive Woodward - a great tale of how Woodward took the English rugby team to world cup glory and had to change the ethos of the English Rugby Association in the process.
"Selling to Win", Richard Denny, - great tips on selling from the guru of sales himself.
"Memoirs of a Fruitcake" Chris Evans -  Just a great read from someone who has lived life in a Ferrari in the fast lane and did well to survive it.
"Motivating to Win" Richard Denny - another great book from the maestro himself

No comments:

Post a Comment