Thursday 27 September 2012

Of Coaching Habits

Today, I completed day one of a 3 day coaching course. The skills taught are quite similar to those you learn on the way to qualifying as a mediator. There's listening skills, summarising, empathizing and a raft of other techniques you'd find in a book on EI, NLP or Communication Skills.
It's one thing learning coaching techniques but it's quite another to remember to use them. For this I guess I need a book that has just landed on my desk direct from Amazon entitled "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. According to its cover this is a book that explains why habits exist and how they can be changed transforming businesses communities and our lives.
So I've got work to do. 2 more days of this course and a book to read by which time I should be in the habit of coaching colleagues. Lets hope I learn how to switch off the coaching button too lest friends and family get blasts of it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment