Monday 6 June 2011

Of Four Great Dames

Wow! Four days for my birthday weekend in London being treated to performers in very different disciplines but each at the pinnacle of their career and each with remarkable stage presence.
On Thursday I went to see the Queen of Jazz, Dame Cleo Lane at the home of UK Jazz, Ronnie Scotts. This woman is 83 but can still cut it and wow can she connect and talk to an audience. She listens, she laughs, she converses and she sings.
Friday night and it was KD Lang's turn to impress at the Royal Festival Hall. I understood immediately why everyone says that you must go and see her live. Wow can this woman belt out the notes.
Saturday and it was Tamara Rojo principal ballerina at the Royal Ballet. She jumped and fluttered her way around the stage like she had wings on her shoulders and compressed air by her feet. She looked extraordinarily fit, supple and yes pale too - no doubt a result of the thousands of hours of practice in studios to get to the top of her game.
When people ask if I had a good birthday. I say No. I had a great birthday. Dames thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment